Bodh Gaya is a pious place located in Gaya District of Bihar , where Gautama Budhha have attained the spiritual enlightenment. It is religious Buddhist site of India , associated with the Mahabodhi Temple. Here Mahabodhi Temple is the main and prime attraction that was where Buddha was meditating . Bodhgaya is about 12 km from Gaya City.The NH83 Highway connects Gaya and Bodhgaya . It is one of the is the most important of the main four pilgrimage sites related to the life of Gautama Buddha, the other three being Kushinagar, Lumbini, and Sarnath.
|Temprature||42 Degree – 20 Degree|
|Season Time||Novemeber to March|
|Nearest Railway Station||Gaya Railway Station at 17 Km|
|Nearest Airport||Gaya Airport about 7 Kms|
It is believed that in 500 BC Prince Gautama Siddhartha, wandering as an ascetic, reached the sylvan banks of the Phalgu, near the city of Gaya. There he sat in meditation under a bodhi tree. After three days and three nights of meditation, Siddhartha claimed to have attained enlightenment. He then spent seven weeks at seven different spots in the vicinity meditating and considering his experience. After seven weeks, he travel led to Sarnath, where he began teaching Buddhism. It is believed that 250 years after the Enlightenment of the Buddha, Emperor Asoka visited Bodh Gaya. He is considered to be the founder of the original Mahabodhi temple.
With the decline of Buddhism in India, the temple was abandoned and forgotten, buried under layers of soil and sand. The temple was later restored by Sir Alexander Cunningham in the late 19th century.
Buddhist Sites in Bodh Gaya
Mahabodhi Temple – It is a Buddhist temple where Gautama Buddha, is said to have attained enlightenment . Its basement is 48 square feet and it rises in the form of a slender Pyramid till it reaches its neck, which is cylindrical in shape.Inside the temple, in the main sanctum, there is a colossal image of the Buddha in sitting posture touching the earth by his right hand. In 2002, Mahabodhi Temple, located in Bodh Gaya, became a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Animesh Lochan Chaitya - It is believed that the Buddha spent one week here looking towards the great Bodhi tree out of gratitude, without twinkling his eyes.
Bodhi Tree – Bodhi Tree is the tree in Mhabodhi temple under which Gautama Buddha is said to have attained enlightenment .Bodhi tree at the Mahabodhi Temple is called the Sri Maha Bodhi.
Chankramana - It is the sacred spot of the Buddha’s meditative perambulations after Lord Buddha attained the spritual enlightment . It is believed that wherever the Buddha put his feet lotus sprang up.
Ratnagarh - The Buddha spent one week here, where it is believed that five colors came out of his body.
Places to See and Attractions Bodh Gaya
- Muchalinda Lake – Lake is named after Muchalinda Shesh Naga the king of Snakes , who protected Buddha who was meditating near the Lake during the sixth week. It is located 3 km from here.
- Sujata village - It is a village named after the girl sujata who offered Siddhartha a bowl of rice milk, giving him the strength to cross the river and sit in meditation.
- Kagyu Monlam Chenmo - The International Kagyu Monlam Chenmo is a prayer ceremony festival held at the sacred site of Bodhgaya, India, at the grand Stupa, under the Mahabodhi tree, where Lord Buddha attained Enlightenment.
- Archaeological Museum- The museum was established in the year 1956. The museum consists of two galleries and an open courtyard as well as two verandahs displaying the antiquities. The museum exhibits bronze and stone sculptures of Buddhist and Brahmanical faith of pala period, scenes related to Buddhist pantheon, Surya, Zodiac signs on railings of Sunga age
- Maitreya Project
Bodh Gaya Excursion
- Sun Temple- A famous temple of the Sun God at Deo located about 32 km from Bodh Gaya has a beautiful architecture similar to the Konark Temple in Orissa. ‘Chhat’ festival which is held in the month of October-November is famous here attended by devotees from all over the State and Other.
- Pretshila Hill - Are located about 12 km in Gaya , It is about 10 kms from the Ramshila hill. There is a Brahama Kund located below the hills. On the top of the hill is a temple known as Ahilya Bai Temple built by ueen of Indore, Ahilya Bai in 1787. It has unique architecture and magnificent sculptures.
- Vishnupad Temple – Located about 12 km from here Queen Ahilya Bai of Indore built the Vishnu temple on the banks of river Falgu.
- Barabar Caves - It is a famous cave site of historical importance located about 41 km from here. These caves were built in the 3rd century and are fine examples of the skill which the Indian mansion had attained at that time.
- Chakramdas – Located about 35 Km from Bodh Gaya , there is a holy tank where it is believed that Lord Buddha took shelter and rested During his Vaishali Trip .
How To Reach Bodh Gaya
Bodh Gaya located in Gaya District of Bihar is very well connecetd with road network as it is a major tourist pigrimage destination of Bihar and India too .
- Airways – Gaya Airport is located about 7 Kms and Patna 135 kms. Indian Airlines and Sahara Airlines connect Patna to Calcutta, Bombay, Delhi, Ranchi, Lucknow and various other cities.
- Railway Station - Gaya Railway Station is located about 17km from here.
- Roadways - Bodhgaya is well connected by road to Gaya (17km), Nalanda (101 km), Rajgir (78 km), Patna (135km), Varanasi (252 km), Calcutta (495km)
- Local Transport - Taxis, Tongas, Auto Rickshaws, Cycle Rickshaws are available.
- Bus - Regular direct bus services are available from Gaya, Patna, Nalanda, Rajgir, Varanasi. Bihar State Tourism Development Corporation run buses from Patna- Bodhgaya route twice a day.
- Conducted Tour - Chartered buses or taxis are arranged from Ranchi and Patna by Bihar State Tourism Development Corporation.