Mallikarjuna Swamy Shrine one of the 12 Jyotirlingas is situated on a flat top of Nallamalai Hills, Srisailam in Andhra Pradesh State of India . Srisailam is a holy town situated in Nallamala Hills of Kurnool district along the bank of great river Krishna. Mallikarjuna Swamy temple is also known as Bhramaramba Mallikarjunaswamy Temple as the shrine is dedicated to Lord Mallikarjuna Swamy (Shiva Incarnation )and and Devi Bhramaramba (Incarnation of Goddess Parvati ) . Mallikarjuna Swamy is one of the 275 Paadal Petra Sthalams.The presiding Deities of this kshetram Lord Mallikarjuna Swamy is one of the twelve Jyothirlingas and Goddess Bhramaramba Devi is one of the eighteen Mahasakthis and both are self-manifested. The unique feature of this kshetram is the combination of Jyothirlingam and Mahasakthi in one campus, which is very rare and only one of its kind.
The temple can be accesed by anyone without the discrimination of sex caste and creed . The Mallikarjuna Linga is accessible to each and every devotee and anybody can go into the sanctum sanctorum of Mallikarjuna, touch him and perform Abhishekam and Archana himself .
|Language||Telugu, Hindi and English|
|Temprature||41-22C (Summers)30-15 C (Winters)|
|Season Time||Throughout Year|
|Nearest Railway Station||Markapur road, Ongole, Nandyal|
|Nearest Airport||Hyderabad Airport about 175 Km|
Legends Say that when lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati decided to find suitable brides fro their two son but question was that who will marry first. On this lord Shiva told that one who goes round the world in Pradakshinam could get married first. Lord Ganesha went round his parents 7 times and was married first to Siddhi & Buddhi, the daughtersof Viswaroopan , while Lord Kartikeya went in vahana to take round of the world . Lord Kartikeya on this went to live in the mount Kravunja alone . On seeing Lord Shiva coming to meet him he tried to move to another place but on the request of the Devas, stayed close by . The place where Lord Siva and Parvathi stayed came to be known as Sri Sailam.
Mallikarjuna Swamy Temple
Mahashivratri is the main festival celebrated at Srisailam Mallikarjuna Swamy temple . On the wall of temple there are scripture of heroic legends from the Mahabharata and Ramayana and Srisailam is reffered to as Sri Parvata means the blessed hill. Origin of this temple is not yet clear as how and when this temple was formed. The temple is situated facing East. The centre mandapam has several pillars, with a huge idol of Nadikeswarar.
Name of the Darshanams
|Suprabhatha Darshanam||5.00am||Rs.300.00||One Person|
|Mahamangala Harathi||5.50am||Rs.200.00||One Person|
|Athiseegra Darshanam||6.30 am to 1.00 pm & 6.30 pm to 9.00 pm||Rs.100.00||One Person|
|Special Queue Line Darshanam||6.30 am to 1.00 pm & 6.30 pm to 9.00 pm||Rs.50.00||One Person|
|Free Darshanam in general Queue||6.00 am to 3.30 pm & 6.00 pm to 10.00 pm|
|Mahamangala Harathi (Evening)||5.00 pm||Rs.200.00||One Person|
Sevas & Poojas
|Timings||Cost of ticket||Pooja Articals and Prasadams||No. of Pilgrims allowed|
|Special Abhishekam to Sri Swamy Varu in Garbhalayam||6.00am to 1.00 pm & 6.00pm to 8.30pm||Rs.600.00||Provided by the Temple||Couple or Single|
|Abhishekam to Sri Vurdha Mallikarjuna Swamy||6.00am to 1.00 pm & 6.00pm to 8.30pm||Rs.250.00||-||Couple or Single|
|Ganapathi Abhishekam||7.00am||Rs.720.00||-||Couple or Single|
|Ganapathi Homam||7.00am to 7.30am||Rs.720.00||-||Couple or Single|
|Rudra Homam||7.30am 8.30am||Rs.1500.00||Provided by the Temple||Couple or Single|
|Kumkuma Puja to ammavaru (At Srichakram)||6.00am to 1.00pm & 6.00pm to 8.30pm||Rs.500.00||Provided by the Temple||Couple or Single|
|Kumkumarchana to Sri Bhramaramba Devi in the Mandapam||6.00am to 1.00pm & 6.00pm to 8.30pm||Rs.350.00||Provided by the Temple||Couple or Single|
|Gouri Vratham||7.30am||Rs.720.00||-||Couple or Single|
|Chandi Homam||9.30am||Rs.1500.00||Provided by the Temple||Couple or Single|
|Navavarana Pooja||6.30am||Rs.1516.00||Provided by the Temple||Couple or Single|
|Kalyanotsavam||7.15pm||Rs.1100.00||Provided by the Temple||Couple or Single|
|Sarvaseva Pathakam (All sevas will be performed in this Seva)||4.30am||Rs.5000.00||Provided by the Temple||Couple or Single|
|Laksha Bilwarchana (at Swamivari Temple Garbhalayam)||6.00 am to 12.30 pm||Rs.5116.00||Contact the temple authorities two days advance and they have to get the bilwam leaves.||Couple or Single|
|Bilwarchana ( Sri Vrudhamallikarjuna swami)||6.00 am to 12.30 pm||Rs.3116.00||Contact the temple authorities two days advance and they have to get the bilwam leaves.||Couple or Single|
|Laksha kunkumarchana (at Sri Chakram)||6.00 am to 12.30 pm||Rs.5116.00||Contact the temple authorities two days advance.||Couple or Single|
|Mahanyasa Purvaka Rudrabhishekam||6.30 am to 9.00 am||Rs.2116.00||Contact the temple authorities two days advance.||Couple or Single|
|Maha Mrutyanjaya Homam (At Vridhamallikarjun Swamy)||8.30am TO 9.30am||Rs.1516.00||Provided By The Temple||Couple or single|
|Navagrah Homam (At Vrudhamallikarjun Swamy)||9.30 am TO 10.00am||Rs.508.00||Provided By The Temple||Couple or single|
|Chandralingabhishekam (At Chandralingam)||6.30 am to 1.00 pm & 6.00 pm to 8.30 pm||Rs.108.00||-||Couple or single|
|Balarista Pooja (At Kumara Swamy)||9.30am TO 10.30am||Rs.316.00||-||Couple or single|
|Sarpa Dosa Nivarana Pooja (At Kumara Swamy)||10.30am TO 11.30am||Rs.316.00||-||Couple or single|
|Maha Mrutyanjayabhishekam (At Vrudhamallikarjun Swamy)||11.30am TO 1.30am||Rs.2116/-||Provided By The Temple||Couple or single|
|Suryalingabhishekam (At Shasralingeswara Swamy)||6.30am TO 1.00pm & 6.00pm TO 8.30pm||Rs.250/-||Provided By The Temple||Couple or single|
|Suryalingabhishekam (At Suryalingam)||6.30am TO 1.00pm & 6.00pm TO 8.30pm||Rs.250/-||Provided By The Temple||Couple or single|
|Suvarnapushparchana||Rs. 1000.00||Provided by the Temple||Couple or Single|
|Preparation of ammavari Bogam Prasadam (Per Kg)||Rs. 216.00|
|Radhotsavam (Only Monday)||7.00 pm to 7.30 pm||Rs.520.00||Couple or Single|
|VahanaSeva||7.00 pm to 7.30 pm||Rs. 520.00||Couple or Single|
|Pallaki Seva||7.00pm to 7.30 pm||Rs. 220.00||Couple or Single|
|Ekantha Seva||9.30 pm to 10.00 pm||Rs.120.00||Prasadams Provided by the Temple||Couple or Single|
Places to See Near Mallikarjuna Swamy
- Sikharam -This most sacred spot is located at about 8 Km from the main temple at a height of 2830 feet above the mean sea level. It is the highest peak of Srisailam Hills .The Sikhareswaram temple is an ancient stone structure consisting of Garbhagriha, Antaralaya and 16 pillered Mukhamanda. The deity here is named as Veera Sankara Swamy and locally popularized as Sikhareswara Swamy.
- Hatakeswaram – It is a beautiful spot located about 5 km from Srisailam . It is believed that God Siva appeared to a potter devotee in Atika (Piece of Pot) and hence named as Atikeswaram and later it became as Hatakeswaram.
- Sakshi Ganapathi- About 3 Kms from Srisailam .The traditional belief is that the Ganapathi in this temple keeps regular account of all the pilgrims to tender Sakshyam (evidence) of their visit to this Kshetram and so named as Sakshi Ganapathi.
- Akkamahadevi Caves- During the 12th century A.D. this cave appeared to have attained its present name after the famous ascetic, lyricist and philosopher, Akka Mahadevi who hailed from Karnataka. It is believed that Akka Mahadevi did penance in this cave and worshiped the Sivalinga that naturally existed in the deep and dark end of the cave.
- Phaladhara Panchadhara- It is located about 4 Km from here . It was here the great Adi Shankara performed penance and composed his famous work Sivanandalahari here.
- Srisailam Dam - Dam built across Krishna River is about 512 m long . The Dam offers great scenic view of the surrounding area covered with dense forest Ghats.
- Srisailam Sanctuary- Sanctuary sprwaling in an an area of 3568 km² is one of the largest Tiger Reserves of India . It is covered by dry deciduous forests with scrub and bamboo thickets.Tiger, leopard, deer, sloth bear, hyena, jungle cat, palm civet can be sighted here.
Mallikarjuna Swamy Excursions
- Alampur - Located about 27 Km From here on the bank of Tungabhadra River is famous for groups of temples of Chalukya Period .
- Mallela Theertham - It is a waterfall located about 50 km from Srisailam in dense forest .
How to reach Mallikarjuna Swamy
Mallikarjuna Swamy Temple is located in Kurnool District of Andhra Pradesh.
- By Raod – Mallikarjuna Shrine is very well connected to Hyderabad . There is frequent bus service from Hyderabad to Srisailam every half an hour and also from Guntur. APSRTC Buses operates buses at regular interval to the shrine .
- By Train -Ongole/Nandyal/Markapur Railway Station is the nearest from here. The nearest major railway stations are Narsaraopet, Kurnool and Nandyal.
- By Air – Hyderabad Airport is the nearest Airport from here about 175 km from here.