Trimbakeshwar or Trambakeshwar Shiva Temple one of the 12 Jyotirlinga is an ancient Hindu Temple located in Trimbak town of Nashik District in Maharashtra. Located at the bank of River Godaveri considered as one of the pious rivers of India . The temple lies in the foothill of mountain Bramhagiri which is the origin of river Ganga (called here by name Godavari).Nashik is one of the world’s holiest Hindu cities.
Timing of Trimbakeshwar temple is from 5.30 am to 9 pm.
|Language||Marathi , Hindi|
|Season Time||All Year|
|Nearest Railway Station||Nashik Railway Station|
|Nearest Airport||Gandhinagar Airport 35 Km|
Trambakeshwar Shiva Temple
Temple architecture work was done by Shri Nana Saheb Peshawa in 1755-1786 AD . Trambakeshwar Shiva Temple is famous for presence of 3 linga’s each representing Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva. All three resides in a hallow space within the Shiva lingam. The Shiva Linga present in the Temple Complex is covered by a Jewel Crown beleived to be of ancient time of Pandavas which consists of diamonds, emeralds and other precious stones .The crown is displayed every Monday from 4-5 pm . Trambakeshwar Shiva Temple was built by Peshwa Balaji Baji Rao . Kusavarta a bathing pool or kund is there which is considered as sacred kund . The temple is made from entire black stone out of basalt and is famous for its unique architecture and materials used for its construction.
Poojas Performed here
- Kal Sarpa
- Narayan Nagbali
- Rudra Abhisheka
Trambakeshwar Places to See
- Anjaneri Mountain – Located about 7 Km from here it is the birth place of Lord Hanuman.
- Kushavarta– It is a pool or kund located in a walking distance from main temple , it is here that sage Gautama washed away his sin of killing a cow. It is the starting point of Kumbh Mela the largest gathering of devotees in the world here in Nashik . The pool os considered as pious place which is believed to wash away the sin done in this birth.
- Gangadwar– Gangadwar is one of the five tirthas where there is a temple dedicated to Ganga which is known as Godavari here. There is an idol of Ganga and near her feet is a stone of the shape of cow’s head through which Ganga water is flowing drop by drop.
- Nil Parvat– This mountain have various pilgrimage spots here dedicated to various gods worshiped here. Nilamba Matamba Devi temple, Nilkantheshwar Mahadev temple .
- Bilwa Tirtha– Located north to Nil Mountain it is one of the five tirthas , here is a temple called as Bilvakeshwar Mahadev built by Naro Vinayak Gogte.
- Gautam Tirtha– Located near the temple and south of the river Ganga . Varun God being pleased by Gautama give this area as a permanent source of water .
- Indra Tirtha– Located near Kushavarta pool thi sis the place where Lord Indra washed his sin given by Sage Gautama. There is a pool here in octagonal shape built by Vishnu Mahadeo Gadre. Temple Indreshwar Mahadev is located on the bank of this tritha.
- Ahilya Sangam Tirtha– Sangmeshwar Mahadev is located here . One of the goddess and companion of River Ganga took the from of Ahilya wife of Sage Gautama and came to him to ask him to give up his penance , but sage could see her reality and cursed her , it was then she begged for pardon and Sage told that she will be freed of her curse on her joining with Godavari river. Here in Ahilya Sangam is where River Goddavari and Ganga joins.
Trambakeshwar Shiva Temple Excursions
- Someshwar Temple – Located about 29 Km Someshwar temple is one of the oldest temple dedicated to Lord Shiva located in Godavari River.
- Jain Mandir– Located about 38 Km in Vilhouli, Nasik its a new temple complex dedcated to Jain Saints. Temple has a beautiful architecture made up of white marble and pink sand.
How to Reach Trambakeshwar Shiva Temple
Trambakeshwar Shiva Temple is located in Nashik Distric Of Maharashtra about 28 Km from Nashik City . Nashik is very well connected to roads with all the cities of the State and Mumbai the state capital . There ae regular buses and auto services to this famous and religious spot in Nashik.
Nearest Railway Station – Railway Station of Nashik is the nearest major railway located from here. Nashik Station is very well connected to other cities of India and other cities of Maharashtra.
Nearest Airport -Gandhinagar Airport in Nashik in the nearest domestic airport from here about 35 Km from here and Chatrapati Shivaji International Airport, Mumbai is about 178 Km fr om here.
By Road– Maharashtra Road Transport Corporation operates buses to this pilgrimage place from many cities and some private operators also facilitate the bus facility to this destination .