More than 1000 years old Kedarnath Shrine is one of the Holiest Shrines of India and one among the 12 Jyotirlinga . Atop 3581 meters above sea level Kedarnath Temple is located in the Garhwal Himalayan range near the Mandakini river in Kedarnath, Uttarakhand in India. The Temple is surrounded by the loft snow covered majestic Great Himalaya Ranges and verdant natural beauty . Kedarnath Temple is one of the most popular Hindu Pilgrimage destination from all over the world and is also a part of Chota Chardham Yatra. The environment around the temple is mesmerizing and beautiful as if the place was choose and built by god himself . Due to weather conditions up at the temple is very harsh and cold the Kedarnath Shrine is opened only between the end of April to Kartik Purnima . During winters the idols in the temple are shifted to Ukhimath and worshiped for 6 months here . Great Sage Adi Shankra is believed to have built Kedarnath temple .
Kapat Opening:- The kapat of Shri Kedarnath Temple will open on 14th May 2013 at 7:15 AM.
|Temprature||18 – 6 C (Summers)Sub-zero – snow bound(Winters)|
|Season Time||May to October|
|Nearest Railway Station||Rishikesh Railway Station 229 Km away|
|Nearest Airport||Jolly Grant at Dehradun about 240 KM away.|
The present temple built by Adi Shankra stands by the one made by the pandavas . It is believed that Pandavas after winning the war against Kauravas were feeling guilty as they have killed there own brothers and relatives. So in order to seek blessings and to get relieved from sins Pandavas reached the Himalayas via Hardwar. An while moving they saw lord Shiva there but Lord hide himself , on this the eldest Pandav named the place as Guptakashi. From there they went to Gaurikund where they saw a Buffalo . Seeing Buffalo Bhima chased him with the mace , but the buffalo had its face hidden in the ground . On this Bhima started pulling the tail of the Buffalo . During this war of pulling the head of the Buffalo went to the Nepal and there was only the hind part of it in Kedar . The Face that went to Nepal is known as Doleshwar Mahadev located in Sipatol, Bhaktapur, Nepal. From the hind part Lord Shiva Appeared in the form of Jyotirlinga and from then the Lord Shiva resides here in the form of triangular shaped JyotirLinga.
Kedarnath Temple Details
Kedarnath temple is great example of Stone Architectures of Temples . The inner walls of the assembly hall are decorated with figures of various deities and scenes from mythology. Outside the temple door a large statue of the Nandi Bull stands as guard. The temple has a Garbha Griha for worship and a Mandap, apt for assemblies of pilgrims and visitors. A conical rock formation inside the temple is worshipped as Lord Shiva.
Kedarnath Places to See
- Gandhi Sarovar- Located about 3.4 Km from Kedarnath is a beautiful lake fed by the glaciers . It was here the ashes of Mahatma Gandhi was immersed. A waterfall is also the way to lake . The trek to Lake takes about 1 hour to reach .
- Vasuki Tal- Vasuki tal is set amidst the mountains and is famous for its blue water . The tal is located about 8 km from here and is little difficult trek crossing the glaciers . It will take around 4-5 hours to reach there from Kedarnath
- Samadhi Of Adi Shankra- There is a place behind the Kedarnath temple where great sage Adi Shankra Did Samadhi and Gave up his life .
- Gaurikund – Gaurikund about 14 km on the way to Kedarnath . It is a beautiful and peaceful place . From here you have to trek to reach Kedarnath Temple.
Kedarnath Excursion Places
- Chopta – Located about 70 km from Gaurikund , Chopta is mystically covered with snow also referred as Mini Switzerland . It is situated at the height of about 2900 meters . chopta is famous for trek and trails and the mesmerizing view of surrounding Mountains it gives. Skiing is also done here other sports like Snow Trekking , Snow Skiing – Rock Craft, Rock climbing, Rappelling are also done here.
- Ukhimath – Ukhimath is place where the idols of Kedarnath Temple are shifted during winters and worshiped here. It is located about 42 km from here. Rawals the main chief priests of Kedarnath Lives here.
- Rudraprayag - About 80 Km from Kedarnath , Rudraprayag is famous for the confluence of two great rivers Alaknanda and Mandakini River which give the name as Rudraprayag. Rudranath Temple devoted to Lord Shiva is located here. There aa many other temples here.
How to Reach Kedarnath
Kedarnath temple is not directly accessible via road . Roads will led you to gaurikund only after that you will have to take trek of 14km uphill . Kedarnath temple is closed in winter season due to harsh winters and very low temprature . During monsoon also there are very much chances of landslide and all so its best to visit the holy shrine during May to October .
By Road – Rishikesh is the starting of Garwal Region .From here Uttarakhand bus services are available that will take you till Kedarnath . Private taxi and Car are also available here.
By Train – Nearest Railway Station is at Rishikesh about 229 Km . From Rishikesh there are private taxi , govt buses to Gahrwal or to Kedarnath . Many operators are avaiable there so reaching Kedarnath will not be a problem at all.
By Air – Jolly Grant is the only Aiport in Uttarakhand located in the outskirts of Dehradun and is connected to Delhi only . It is located about 240 km from Kedarnath Dham. From Airport on can easily reach Rishikesh from where there are many tour operators or govt buses that will take you to Kedarnath. Private taxi are also available here.