Vaishali a pious and auspicious pilgrimage place is located in Bihar State of India was the capital city of the Licchavi, one of world’s first republics, in the Vajjian Confederacy mahajanapada, around the 6th century BC before the birth of Mahavira. Vaishali is well-known for its close association with the Buddha. Bhagwan Mahavira was born here and also Gautama Buddha preached his last sermon before his death.
|Temperature||42 Degree – 20 Degree|
|Season Time||October to March|
|Nearest Railway Station||Hajipur Station at 35 Km|
|Nearest Airport||Patna Airport about 7 Kms|
Very Little is known about Vaishali history , even before the Buddhism and Jainism, Vaishali was the capital of the vibrant republican Licchavi state which covered most of the Himalayan Gangetic region of present-day Bihar state, India . Name Vaishali is given from the King Vishal of the Mahabharata age.
Buddhist Sites in vaishali
- Relic Stupa – Relic Stupa is located near coronation tank . One eighth of the sacred ashes of the lord Buddha were enshrined here in a stone casket.
- Kutagarasala Vihara – Kutagarasala Vihara is the monastery where Lord Buddha Stayed during his visit to Vaishali . It is located 3 kilometres from the Relic Stupa .
- Coronation Tank – Abhishek Pushkarini the coronation tank is located near Relic Stupa . It contains water that was believed to be sacred in the old days.
- World Peace Pagoda – World Peace Pagoda built by Japenese Nichiren Buddhist is just at stone distance from coronation tank .
- Ashoka Pillar – A pillar with a single lion capital erected by Ashoka. It is located near Buddhist monastery and a sacred coronation tank. This pillar is different from the earlier Ashokan pillars because it has only one lion capital. The lion faces north, the direction Buddha took on his last voyage.
- Archaeological Survey of India museum – The Archaeological Museum of Vaishali was established in 1971. It has four galleries. It opens from 10.00 am to 5.00 pm . It displays terracotta objects like human figurines, Naigamesha, mother and child, Durga, plaque of Buddha, another plaque showing image of Bodhisattva and a female figure.
Vaishali Places to See and Attractions
- Vaishali Mahotsava : Vaishali Mahotsava birth anniversary of the Jain Tirthankar, Lord Mahavir on the full moon day of the month of “Vaisakh” (mid-April).
- Sonepur fair : Asia’s Biggest animal fair, from Kartik full moon day (Oct./Nov) is held here , it is located about 35 km from here.
- Raja Vishal ka Garh :
- Kundalpur : It is the birth place of Lord Mahavira
- Bawan Pokhar Temple : Bawan Pokhar Temple is an old temple of Vaishali stands on the northern bank of Bawan Pokhar and enshrines beautiful images of several Hindu gods.
- Patna : About 55 Km from here Patna is capital of Bihar state . Ancient Patna, known as Pataliputra, was the capital of the Magadha Empire It was the great center of learning and arts in ancient times . Patna is situated on the southern bank of the River Ganga .
- Muzaffarpur : It is 4th largest city of Bihar . Muzaffarpur is famous for exporting lychee. Muzaffarpur has many historical sites, monuments, temples and other places of tourist interest.
How To Reach Vaishali
Vaushali is city in Vaishali District of Bihar India. Patna Airport is located about 70 Km from here . Muzaffarpur Railway station is located about 40 km from here and Hajipur about 35 km from here. Vaishali is well connected with roads to all the cities of Bihar and Patana.